I have been told that Thursday, July 24, 2014 is National Tequila Day. I have been trying to verify that information. Though I cannot find the official declaration, I decided that it really didn’t matter – does it? We just had National Ice Cream Day a few days ago, why not National Tequila Day?
If you are like I was, you might not know that much about tequila, so let me share a few facts with you that I discovered in my research:
- Tequila has been enjoyed by humans for more than 2,000 years.spa
- The distilled beverage is named after the small town of Santiago de Tequila, Mexico, which is considered its birthplace.
- Tequila must be made of at least 51% agave juice – by law.
- It takes about 8 years for the blue agave plant to reach sufficient maturity to be harvested and distilled into tequila.
- In 1918, tequila was prescribed by doctors along with lime and salt to those suffering from the flu.
- Tequila is Pee Wee Herman’s favorite song to dance to. (Just kidding. But hearing the name of the drink makes me think of him.)
Tequila is probably best known as a key ingredient in margaritas, but it can be the base of other cocktails as well. I combined some smooth Casa Noble Resposado with some fruit juice and frozen strawberries to create a cocktail that I call Hermoso Fruto, meaning beautiful fruit in Spanish. I am a home cook, not a bartender, so I wasn’t quite sure how to list the measurements. I hope you will forgive me for combining ounces with cups and teaspoons. If it helps, 3 ounces = 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons and 1.5 ounces = 3 Tablespoons.
- 3 ounces Casa Noble Resposado
- 1.5 ounces orange liqueur
- 3/4 cup 6 ounces orange juice
- 4 tsp pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- juice of one lime
Combine all ingredients in mixer and pulse until well blended. Pour into two glasses. Garnish with lime slices if desired.
A Little Information About This Post’s Sponsor
A renowned boutique distillery, Casa Noble presents the pride, passion and quality commitment of more than 200 years and over 7 generations of Tequila production. The Casa Noble family of Single Estate Organic Tequilas – Crystal, Reposado and Anejo have a rich history that has earned them a position as one of the finest ultra premium spirits portfolios in the world. Today, Casa Noble’s handcrafted tequilas are exported to over 30 countries worldwide and currently available in premium retail outlets, restaurants, distinguished bars and lounges and destination hotels around the world.
Remember to never drink and drive. Always drink responsibly. And if you are underage – don’t even try.