I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for P.A.N. Cornmeal. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
I love to cook from scratch and to try new things, and this past week I did both – I made a Lemon Polenta Cake with Blueberry Sauce using P.A.N. Pre-Cooked Yellow Corn Meal.
P.A.N. is not actually a new item – it has been around for quite sometime and is the number one cornmeal in South America. Fortunately you won’t have to travel to Venezuela to pick up a bag or two because it is now making its way to kitchens in the United States. (Were you aware that corn is native to the Americas and has become a staple all over the globe? It should come as no surprise since corn meal is rich in nutrients and is a versatile product.)
My polenta cake is like a culinary exploration of Venezuela. Using P.A.N. Pre-Cooked Yellow Corn Meal and almond flour as the base, this “corn” cake is gluten-free and delicious.
I start by combining the corn meal, almond flour, and baking powder. I put it aside to use later.
Next, I get started with the eggs. I separate the yolks from the whites and whip the whites in my mixer until they are light and foamy.
I cream butter and sugar, and then add egg yolks. I add juice and zest from one lemon to give it a light lemon taste. I add in the cornmeal mixture and mix until well blended. I fold in the egg whites by hand and then spread the batter into my springform pan. (You could use an 8-inch round non-stick pan, if you’d like.) Next, the cake goes in the oven for around 25-30 minutes.
I let the cake cool before doing anything else. Once it has cooled, I place my cake on a pedestal stand.
I then make my homemade blueberry sauce to top the cake.
When you make this cake, customize it to fit your likes. I like to spread the warm blueberry sauce on top of the cake and eat it while it is still warm. (It’s pretty good cold, too!) You could slice the plain cake and spoon sauce on top of the individual slices. The choice is yours.
The main thing is to try something new and enjoy the process. And the results. I really liked the results of this trial.
- 1 cup P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter at room temperature
- 3 eggs, separated
- juice from 1 medium lemon, about 1 1/2 Tablespoons
- lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- lemon zest
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray non-stick 8-inch round or springform pan with cooking spray.
- Combine P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal, almond flour, and baking powder in small bowl and set aside.
- Separate eggs and whisk whites until light and foamy. Remove egg whites to medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in bowl of mixer. Add yolks and mix until even and smooth. Add lemon juice and zest from one lemon.
- Add cornmeal mixture and mix well. Fold in egg whites by hand. The batter will be thick.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan. Top with blueberry sauce.
For the Blueberry Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine blueberries, water, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Combine 1/4 cup cold water and cornstarch and mix well. Pour cornstarch mixture into blueberry mixture, reduce heat to simmer, and gently stir until the sauce thickens (2-4 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before using.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 5gSugar: 46gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is an approximation.
When you see a bag of P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal, pick up a bag. For recipe ideas, check out the P.A.N. Tumblr page by clicking here. It’s a great staple to have on hand in your pantry.
In July and August I will be sharing more recipes using P.A.N. Pre-Cooked Yellow Corn Meal, which will highlight the naturally gluten-free product’s versatility.
What is your favorite cornmeal dish?