Made with wholesome ingredients in the slow cooker, this Lasagna Soup In a Bowl is a hearty one-dish meal that your family will love.
This recipe for Lasagna In a Soup Bowl comes from Stock the Crock, the latest book from slow cooking expert Phyllis Good.
Lasagna In a Soup Bowl is just one of 100 recipes in Stock the Crock. What makes this new cookbook stand out is that there are 200 easy-to-follow variations that you can use to adapt the recipes for any dietary preference, such as gluten-free, paleo, and vegan.
Phyllis Good is the author of the extremely popular Fix-It and Forget-It series. Her cookbooks have outsold more copies in the US than Ina Garten, Giada De Laurentiis, and Jamie Oliver – combined!
What’s Inside Stock the Crock
Stock the Crock is a beautiful cookbook with full-color pictures to accompany the recipes, providing the reader with a little tasty temptation. Phyllis begins the book with an introduction, followed by advice on how to use the book. (I love how she encourages readers to write notes in the book.) There is a section on Slow Cooker Fundamentals that includes some tips and tricks, as well as information on how to poach in a slow cooker, how to cook in it, along with some slow cooker hacks.
The recipes are divided into seven sections:
- Soups, Stews, and Chowders
- Vegetarian and Pasta Mains
- Beef and Pork
- Fish and Seafood
- Sweet Treats
What I find appealing is that most of the recipes are made with simple ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store. Also, I like tips that are included with the recipes, such as the Simple Swaps, Make It For Two, Make It For Picky Eaters, and Make It Vegetarian.
Dessert In a Slow Cooker
Did you know that you can use your slow cooker to make desserts? It’s true, and in Stock the Crock, there are 20 recipes for sweet treats that you can make in your crock. Among the recipes are Pumpkin Spice Creme Brulee, Slow-Cooker Brownies, Coconut Rice Pudding, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake with Sauce.
Lasagna In a Soup Bowl
I am delighted to share with you a recipe from Stock the Crock – Lasagna In a Soup Bowl. It was easy to make and delicious. I hope you like it, too!
- 1 pound bulk sweet or hot Italian sausage or any link sausage, squeezed out of its casing
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced or diced carrots
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 - 1 ¼ cups uncooked Mafalda pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh spinach, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups provolone or mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn
- Grease the interior of the slow cooker crock with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- If you have time, cook the sausage in a skillet over medium, breaking up sausage with a wooden spoon. Stir in the onions after the sausage is no longer pink. Sauté the onions until soft. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat and onions to the prepared crock. Discard the drippings. Note: If you don’t have time, you can crumble the uncooked sausage straight into the crock. Stir in the onions, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon.
- Add the carrots, chicken broth, chopped stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce, stirring to combine.
- Cover: Cook on Low 4 to 5 hours.
- Stir in the uncooked pasta and garlic.
- Cover and continue cooking on Low 1 to 1 ½ hours or until the pasta is tender but not mushy.
- Stir in the mushrooms. Cover. Cook another 10 minutes on Low.
- Just before serving, stir in the sliced spinach. (No need to cook the spinach; the heat from the soup will wilt it.)
- To serve, divide the diced provolone or mozzarella cheese evenly into bowls and ladle the soup over top.
- Top with the Parmesan cheese and torn fresh basil.
Recipe from Stock the Crock, copyright 2017, and reprinted with permission.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 655 Total Fat: 41g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 25g Cholesterol: 98mg Sodium: 2212mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 12g Protein: 38g
Look for Stock the Crock at your favorite bookstore or online at Amazon.com.