This recipe for dinner rolls is a lot like the “throwed rolls” that you get at Lambert’s. Make a batch and watch them disappear.
Those in the know who travel to Gulf Shores, Alabama, stop at Lambert’s Cafe in the nearby town of Foley. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, leaves there hungry. The food is great and plentiful.
The employees at Lambert’s periodically go around with their “Pass Arounds” which include Macaroni & Tomatoes, Fried Potatoes & Onions, Black Eyed Peas, Fried Okra, Apple Butter, and Boiled Cabbage. Not to be forgotten are the Hot Rolls & Sorghum. But most people in there prefer to have their rolls thrown to them. Hence, Lambert’s Cafe is the home of the “throwed roll.”
While perusing Pinterest, I discovered a Pin for a roll clone. I followed the directions with a few minor adaptations, mainly converting it to a bread machine recipe. The problem that I ran into was that the directions called for the rolls to bake for 20 minutes. My rolls came out a little on the dark side. I went back to work and made a couple of more modifications, reduced the baking time by five minutes, and now I have another wonderful roll to enjoy.
Don’t have a bread machine? Don’t worry. You can still make them. Click here to read an article on Taste of Home on how to convert bread machine recipes to regular.
Since Lambert’s is a good 5+ hours from me, this is the only way for me to enjoy them on a regular basis.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- Place ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Run dough cycle. (I put the egg in just after the machine starts to run.)
- Lightly spray muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Upon completion, divide dough into 24 balls. Place two balls side-by-side in muffin pan cup.
- Allow to rise 30-45 minutes.
- Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 23gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Have you ever been to Lambert’s? (They have two locations in Missouri and the one in Foley, AL.)
Other Roll Recipes You Might Like: