This recipe for Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is easy to make and is sure to become a family favorite. With a few simple ingredients, some seasonings, and about an hour, you’ll have a delicious dinner on the table.
I once tried to use an old-fashioned pressure cooker, but was really too scared to master it. Back in the day, there were horror stories of pressure cookers gone bad, know what I mean? Thank goodness someone invented the Instant Pot!
You do have an Instant Pot, don’t you? They have become such a staple that even Walmart sells them now.
Anyway, back to the White Chicken Chili.
Tips for Making White Chicken Chili in an Instant Pot
- Follow Maya at WholesumYum’s recipe for Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Chicken and prepare your chicken. Maya shares how to cook both fresh and frozen chicken quickly and easily in an Instant Pot.
It’s so much better than boiling chicken on the stovetop. Trust me on this. (Her directions are my go-to source for making shredded chicken in my Instant Pot.)
You can prepare a batch one day and refrigerate it or freeze it for later. Just divide it up and you have chicken ready for several recipes.
Shredded Chicken in an Instant Pot – Photo courtesy of WholesomeYum.com
- If you don’t like chopping onions, buy pre-chopped from the produce section at your local grocery store. They’re convenient and almost guaranteed to not make you cry.
- Buy a squeeze bottle of prepared minced garlic. It is also available at most grocery stores. Store it in the refrigerator after you open it and you will have minced garlic ready when you are. It’s a nice time-saver.
- Better Than Bouillon. Enough said. Just kidding. I love Better Than Boullion products. Just like the garlic mentioned above, once you open Better Than Bouillion, store it in your refrigerator. Then whenever you need a cup or two of broth, you can mix it up in a jiffy. (No more wasted half-full cartons of broth.)
- When the timer gets to 20 on the Instant Pot, make a batch of rice. Serving the chili over rice will make the chili “go further.” So instead of being able to feed, say 4 hungry people, this dish would then feed 6.
- Instead of water and bullion, you can substitute 2 cups of chicken broth or stock.
- To thicken the chili, combine 1/4 cup cornstarch with enough water or chicken broth to make a slurry. Add to the chili after it is finished and stir well. It should thicken in a few minutes.
White Chicken Chili
- 2 cups of water
- 2-3 Tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken
- 2-4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 1 poblano chile pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cans 15-ounce cans navy beans undrained
- 1 4- ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Combine water and Better Than Bouillon. Set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE. Add oil and onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers, garlic, and spices and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in beans, green chiles, chicken, and Better Than Boullion/water mixture.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and move valve to SEAL.
- Set BEAN/CHILI program for 30 minutes.
- When finished, release the pressure valve.
- Remove the lid and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve over rice, if desired.
You can top this White Chicken Chili with your favorite southwestern-style toppings: crunchy tortilla strips, pickled jalapeno, cilantro, sour cream – you name it! It’s also great with Fritos or tortilla chips.