You don’t need any special equipment or skills to make this Homemade Crispy Pizza Dough. All you need is flour, yeast, water, salt, a bowl.
The recipe for this pizza dough comes from a cookbook devoted to pizza and aptly titled, Pizza: Over 100 Innovative Recipes for Crusts, Sauces, and Toppings for Every Pizza Lover.
You could use this pizza dough recipe to create hundreds of different pizzas. It’s a great base and all you need to do is add your favorite toppings. A few of my favorite combinations are:
- creamy alfredo-style sauce with bacon, chicken, and spinach,
- barbecue sauce, mozzarella cheese, chicken, bacon, and red onion,
- red and green bell peppers, olives, mushrooms, and onions, and
- thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, chunks of mozzarella, and julienned basil leaves.
- 4 teaspoons dried granular yeast
- 10 fluid ounces lukewarm water
- 18 ounces plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle the yeast into 3 ½ ounces (100 mL) of the water. Leave to dissolve for 5 – 10 minutes. Add about 2 tablespoons of the flour and mix to a smooth paste, then stir in the remaining water. Cover and leave the yeast mixture for about 30 minutes or until it is bubbling and foamy.
- Combine the flour (reserve 2 tablespoons for kneading) and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Pour in the yeast liquid. Using a wooden spoon, work the ingredients together by pulling the flour into the liquid until it comes together. Use your hands to transfer the mixture to a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for 10 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a round loaf. Leave to rise under a clean tea towel for about 1 ½ - 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and knead for a couple of minutes. Divide into 4 balls. Press each dough ball out flat and, using a floured rolling pin, shape into a 10”- 12” (25-30 cm) diameter circle. Using your knuckles, press just inside the edges to raise them slightly. Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C/gas mark 7.
- Add your toppings. Cook in the middle of the oven for 10 – 12 minutes
(unless otherwise instructed depending on the toppings) or until crispy and golden and the base is cooked.
Excerpted from Pizza: Over 100 Innovative Recipes for Crusts, Sauces, and Toppings for Every Pizza Lover by Pippa Cuthbert and Lindsay Cameron Wilson. Copyright © 2019 by Fox Chapel Publishing. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is an approximation. Calories are for pizza base only. 1 serving = 1/4 pie
The book was written by Pippa Cuthbert and Lindsay Cameron Wilson, two people with a common love for pizza. They share the ins-and-outs of pizza making. They cover info about different types of grains, cheeses, and cured meats along with different types of equipment that you can use to make pizzas.
The recipes in the book are divided into the following chapters:
- Bases and breads
- Land and sea
- From the garden
- Sauces and more
This book is a great resource for pizza lovers – which is pretty much everyone. With the inclusion of a cauliflower pizza base, there is even a recipe for those who are gluten-free.
Look for Pizza: Over 100 Innovative Recipes for Crusts, Sauces, and Toppings for Every Pizza Lover at your favorite bookstore, or if you prefer to shop online, feel free to use my affiliate link below.