Everyone knows that the South is famous for its hospitality and cuisine, though one certainly does not have to live in the South to be gracious or to enjoy fabulous Southern dishes. Today I am going to tell you about Melissa’s Southern Cookbook, written by Melissa Sperka, as well as share her recipe for Garlic Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits with you so that you can try it at home.
Melissa blogs at Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen where she shares authentic southern recipes that she learned from her mother and grandmothers. She is also a featured contributor to Parade‘s Community Table and has been published in Better Homes and Gardens, as well as Southern Living Magazine. That says a lot.
Strawberry Salad with Bacon, Blue Cheese, and Candied Pecans
In her cookbook, you aren’t going to any fluff. With only one page for an introduction, the rest of the cookbook is filled with mouthwatering recipes. Among the chapters and recipes are:
- Starters: Dips, Munchables, & Beverages – Queso Blanco Dip, Cajun Crab Dip with Garlic-Herb Roll Dippers, Puff Pastry-Wrapped Smokies, & Fried Green Tomatoes
- Breakfast Bounty – Sausage Gravy and Cream Biscuits, Maple Sausage Croissant Breakfast Bake, Country Sausage and Grits Casserole, & Caramel Apple Cinnamon French Toast
- Thou Shalt Eat Bread – Classic Buttermilk Biscuits, Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bread, Cinnamon Roll Bread, & Easy Yeast Rolls
- Mouthwatering Side Dishes & Salads – BLT Macaroni Salad, Green Chile Sweet Corn Casserole, Broccoli Cheddar Rice Casserole, & Homestyle Potato Salad
- The Main Attraction – Cast-Iron Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Chicken and Biscuit Cobbler, Sweet Oven BBQ Spare Ribs, & Cheesy Bacon Ranch Chicken Spaghetti
- Decadent Desserts – Carrot Cake with a Coconut-Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting, Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake, Mississippi Mud Brownies, & Black-Bottomed Peanut Butter Pie
- Traditional Holiday Favorites – Sea-Salted Praline Pecan Baked Brie, White Chocolate Frosted Cherry Coconut Bars, Christmas Eve Date Nut Cookies, & Saltine Coffee Crunch
Keep in mind that those are just a few of the recipes in this book. Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen is loaded with gorgeous full color photos of classic and new southern dishes.
French Vanilla Cake with Fresh Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup 1 stick, or 4 ounces salted cold butter, cubed, plus 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, sift together the flour, garlic powder, and onion powder. Use a pastry blender or two forks to cut the cubed butter into the flour until it resembles cornmeal. Mix the cheddar cheese into crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Mix the buttermilk into the dry ingredients gradually, using a fork. Mix until just fully moistened.
- Use a 4-ounce ice-cream scoop to divide the dough, placing the biscuits side by side in the skillet.
- Mix together the melted butter, parsley, and garlic salt. Lightly brush the tops of the biscuits, reserving some of the herbed butter for the tops at the end of the baking.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through and golden. Broil at the end of baking to brown the tops further, if desired.
- Brush with reserved herbed butter and serve.
Recipe from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen, copyright 2016. Reprinted with permission.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 biscuit
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 305 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 727mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 13g