I like to get lost in a good book and have started reading Nourished by Lia Huber. It’s her memoir of food, faith, and enduring love. Three topics for which we all hunger. Nourished is like a Christian version of Eat, Pray, Love.
Throughout, Huber treats us to scrumptious meals (through both the narrative and recipes paired with each chapter) while sharing the vulnerable, tender roller coaster of emotions and self-exploration that define true love and deep faith. Her story spans twenty years as Huber takes us along to pasta lessons in Bologna with Francesca; the “right place, right time” moment at the farmers’ market that helped her break into food writing; and the harrowing lengths she went to obtain a yucca flower for dinner!
Lia includes mouthwatering recipes that translate that period of her life to the plate at the end of each chapter. I am delighted to be able to share with you her recipe for Frijoles De Lia. It’s an earthy dish that can be eaten as a meal, or wrap it up in a flour tortilla and make it into a burrito.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 2 large poblano chiles, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp ground ancho chile
- 1 1/2 cups dried black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- sea salt
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, poblano chiles, and garlic and sauté for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the cumin, coriander, oregano, and ancho chile and sauté for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the beans, a generous pinch of salt, and 6 cups cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the beans are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash the beans until there’s a mix of whole beans and creamy mashed beans.
Reprinted from NOURISHED: A Memoir of Food, Faith & Enduring Love (with Recipes) COPYRIGHT © 2017 by Lia Huber. Published by Convergent, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 126 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 62mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 2g Protein: 7g
Look for Nourished at your local bookstore or at Amazon.com.