I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Calphalon. I received product samples and a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
Fajitas – seasoned grilled beef, savory grilled onions and bell peppers, all wrapped up in a warm tortilla shell. What’s not to love about the classic Tex-Mex dish? It makes great use of an inexpensive cut of meat – the skirt steak. With the right ingredients and tools, it is easy to make the dish at home.
To make fajitas, marinate a skirt steak in a little citrus juice from a fresh lime and lemon. Additionally, rub the meat with a special rub made with spices such as cumin, red pepper, garlic salt, paprika, and ground chipotle chile powder for a little smoky flavor. Allow the meat to marinate for at least 1 hour for the flavors to develop.
While the meat is marinating, julienne bell peppers and onions. The veggies can be refrigerated until it is time to start cooking.
To cook the fajitas, heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly spray the skillet with non-stick spray and cook the skirt steak for 4-5 minutes on each side. When the meat is done, remove it and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before cutting. (Tip: cut the meat against the grain.)
Meanwhile, drizzle oil in the bottom of another skillet and cook the onion and peppers over medium-high heat until the onions become translucent (about 10-12 minutes). Serve with warm tortillas. Fajitas are also good with sour cream, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce – there are no hard and fast rules, so you are free to enjoy them however you like.
When it comes to tools, you will need 2 skillets for cooking and a good set of knives. I used the 4 1/2 inch Parer and 8 inch Chef’s Knife by Calphalon to prepare my fajitas, both of which are in Calphalon’s Self-Sharpening Cutlery Set. (Calphalon is a leading manufacturer for quality cookware, cutlery, bakeware, and all kinds of things that we need in our kitchens.)
Honing Your Knife Skills
A dull knife is a dangerous knife. That is one thing that makes Calphalon’s self-sharpening knife sets the ideal kitchen tool. They automatically sharpen every time you use them, so there is never a dull knife. Another dangerous aspect of using a knife is using it incorrectly. I confess to needing to sharpen my knife skills. Fortunately, Calphalon has a page full of tutorials that we call benefit from. Here are a couple of videos that show how to cut onions and peppers:
About Calphalon Self Sharpening Cutlery
- Calphalon Self Sharpening Cutlery features SharpIN Technology. That means that it has ceramic sharpeners that are built right into the slots of each storage block. Each time the knives are removed or replaced, they are automatically sharpened at the correct angle.
- The knives remain at peak performance – never a dull knife. They are a kitchen essential you should not do with out.
- The knives are made from high-carbon stainless steel and won’t stain. The balanced, triple-riveted handles feel comfortable in your hand.
- Three models are available for you to choose from:
- Calphalon Classic Self-Sharpening Cutlery (15 pieces, ARV $179.99)
- Calphalon Contemporary Series German Steel Self-Sharpening Cutlery (16 pieces, ARV $229.99)
- Calphalon Precision Series Fully Forged Self-Sharpening Cutlery (15 pieces, ARV $279.99)
One lucky Southern Kissed reader will win a Calphalon Self-Sharpening Cutlery Set valued at approximately $219. Contest is open to US residents, aged 18 or older. Contest entrants are eligible to win once per sweepstake, per household as part of a campaign sponsored by Influence Central. Deadline for entries is Sunday, November 1, 2015.