This holiday season, I feel like I have been bombarded with too many sweets. To counteract the sugar assault, I am making some sweet swaps using SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener and SPLENDA® Sweetener Brown Sugar Blend. I took my favorite recipe for making blueberry muffins and made a few simple swaps to make a batch of delicious muffins to enjoy during the holidays – and all year long!
Muffins are a versatile treat – they can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert. Know what I mean?
When I make them, I start by making the topping. I place the streusel to the side and then get to work on the body, first by combing the dry ingredients, and then whisking the wet. The two then get combined with dried cranberries. (It is important not to over mix the muffin batter. Doing so could create large “tunnels” or “pockets” inside the muffin.) Just before going into the oven, the muffins are topped with the streusel mixture.
The muffins are placed into the oven which has been preheated to 425 degrees. After about 17 minutes, the topping is golden brown and the insides are done. (You can test to see if the insides are done by inserting a clean toothpick into the center. If batter is on the toothpick when it is removed, bake a little bit longer, checking every minute or two.)
Cranberry Muffins with Brown Sugar Streusel
Brown Sugar Streusel Topping
- 2 Tablespoons Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted and cooled
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- orange zest optional
- 2/3 cups dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Make the brown sugar topping by combining Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and softened butter in a medium-sized bowl until mixture comes together and is crumbly. Set aside.
Combine the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
Combine the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture, add cranberries, and stir until blended. Be careful not to over mix.
Spoon muffin batter into 9 muffin cups and sprinkle brown sugar streusel over the tops.
Bake for 17 minutes or until tops are golden.
- As a brand dedicated to adding sweetness to life, SPLENDA® inspires consumers to make smarter, balanced decisions with SWEET SWAPS™.
- By replacing three tablespoons of sugar per day with SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, you can save almost 130 calories per day.
- SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener has the sweet taste of sugar, but fewer calories, so you can continue to enjoy foods you love and feel good about the choices you’re making.
- SPLENDA® Sweetener Products can be used almost anywhere sugar is used, including cooking and baking.
- Find recipes, tips, tricks and more at SweetSwaps.com.
If you like muffins as much as I do, give this recipe a try.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.