Thai Coconut Curry Soup is made with plant-based goodness – tofu, vegetable broth, veggies, and a few other delicious items. Make a batch for when you crave something comforting and wholesome.
Thai Coconut Curry Soup Recipe
This recipe does take a little bit of time to make because you have to start by pressing the tofu. But first things first – the ingredients. To make this soup, you need the following:
- firm tofu
- reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 medium lemon
- rice noodles (or rice)
- olive oil
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- vegetable broth
- coconut milk
- curry powder
How To Make Thai Coconut Curry Soup
To make this nourishing soup, you start by pressing the tofu to get out excess moisture. The tofu needs to be pressed for at least 10 minutes. Next, the tofu needs to marinate in soy sauce for an hour.
When you are ready to start making the broth, take a moment to soak rice noodles in water.
For the broth, place chickpeas, coconut, and vegetable broth in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour the liquid in a medium saucepan, stir in curry and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, heat a non-stick skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil and stir-fry carrots until tender. Remove carrots from skillet and add 1 tablespoon oil to stir fry bell pepper until tender. Remove bell pepper and keep on the side.
In the same skillet, add 2 tablespoons of oil. Drain the tofu and fry it until it is crispy and golden brown.
When the soup is boiling add rice noodles carrot and stir. Cook for about 2 minutes on low heat.
Prepare 4 serving bowls and pour soup in them. Top with bell pepper, cilantro, and crispy tofu. Serve immediately.
Thai Coconut Curry Soup
- 1 block firm tofu
- ½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 100 g rice noodles
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas drained and washed
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ cup cilantro loosely packed
- 1. Prepare tofu. Press the water out of the tofu for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the marinade by mixing soy sauce, water, and lemon juice in a bowl. After 10 minutes, cut tofu in cubes and marinate for about 1 hour. Best overnight.
- 2. Soak rice noodles in warm water while you prepare the soup.
- 3. Add chickpea, coconut, and vegetable broth in a blender. Process until no chickpea is left. Transfer the liquid to a medium saucepan, stir in curry and bring to a boil.
- 4. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil and stir-fry carrots until tender. Remove carrots from skillet and add 1 tablespoon oil to stir fry bell pepper until tender. Remove bell pepper and keep on the side.
- 5. In the same skillet, add 2 tablespoons of oil and fry tofu until crispy and golden brown.
- 6. When the soup is boiling add rice noodles carrot and stir. Cook for about 2 minutes on low heat.
- 7. Prepare 4 serving bowls and pour soup in them. Top with bell pepper, cilantro and crispy tofu. Serve immediately.
Helpful Tips For Making Thai Coconut Curry Soup
- Use reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari – Tofu will soak up a lot of flavor as well as salt. Trust me on this.
- It’s okay to use rice instead of rice noodles. – Rice noodles aren’t for everyone. Substituting basmati or jasmine rice for the noodles is a great option. Just factor in the cooking time for the rice.
Helpful Supplies For Making This Recipe
The recipe can be made using standard kitchen tools, such as a blender, non-stick skillet, and soup pot.
To remove the moisture from tofu, you can place the tofu on a rimmed plate, top it with another plate, and place a weight like a heavy cookbook on top of that. Alternatively, you could simply use a tofu press if you have one.
Like Thai food? Be sure to check out these other great Thai dishes at Southern Kissed: