The holiday season is almost upon us, so it’s time to start thinking about what delicious treats we can make for friends and family. Personally, I like to keep things simple and sweet and take the advantage of a shortcut or two along the way. For instance, take my Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Icing. I take an inexpensive box of Devil’s Food Cake and enhance the flavor with Nielsen-Massey’s Pure Coffee Extract.
A nice feature of Nielsen-Massey extracts is that you only need a couple of teaspoonfuls. If you have a recipe for a chocolate baked good that lists water as an ingredient, simply place one to two teaspoons of Pure Coffee Extract in your measuring cup and then fill the remainder of the directed amount with water. For recipes that don’t list water as an ingredient, one to two teaspoons added to the batter should not affect the outcome, other than creating a better taste.
Homemade Vanilla Buttercream Icing
Delicious buttercream icing that is simple to make and delicious!
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 -2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Beat butter at high speed in an electric mixer until light in color. Reduce speed to low and gradually add powdered sugar.
- Once sugar has been incorporated into the butter, add milk and vanilla and whip at high speed for 3-5 minutes.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
Nielsen-Massey was founded in 1907 and has earned its reputation as a manufacturer of the finest extracts in the world. Today it is owned and operated by the 3rd generation of Nielsens. All Nielsen-Massey products are All-Natural, Allergen-Free, GMO-Free, and certified Kosher and Gluten-Free. The company is headquartered in Waukegan, Illinois, with production facilities in Waukegan and Leeuwarden, The Netherlands.
Premium Pure Extracts
- Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract: Made from premium, hand-selected beans cultivated on the Bourbon Island of Madagascar, this exceptional vanilla has a sweet, creamy, mellow flavor with velvety after-tones, perfect for cooking and baking both sweet and savory dishes.
- Pure Almond Extract: A baker’s best friend and one of the most popular flavors used in baking. Nielsen-Massey’s is made with the purest oil of bitter almond to deliver optimal results in flavor and quality.
- Pure Peppermint Extract: Long a favorite of the holiday season. Crafted from the finest mint oils under the strictest quality standards, Nielsen-Massey’s Pure Peppermint Extract is perfect for flavoring teas and complementing chocolate in cakes, icings and ice cream.
- Pure Coffee Extract: The rich, freshly brewed flavor is achieved through careful distillation of premium coffee beans. This concentrated extract is easy to keep on hand, unlike ground coffee or beans, which rapidly lose their flavor.
Holiday Gift Set Ideas
Combine Nielsen-Massey extracts + a few other items = fabulous gift sets. Below are some creative ideas for those special people on your lists:
- Holiday Guest Welcome Basket – Put Nielsen-Massey and McCrea’s Caramels into a beautiful basket on a nightstand along with bottled water, travel-size sundries, a mug and coffee.
- Sophisticated Boozy Basket – Place a bottle of a lightly-oaked Chardonnay, semi-sweet sparkling wine, or a light Pinot Noir, and a personalized glass in a basket. Include some McCrea’s Vanilla Caramels for the sweet finishing touch.
- Traveling Foodie Gift – Place McCrea’s Black Lava Sea Salt Caramels with salt crystals from Hawaii’s volcanoes along with Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar which will evoke the thoughts of an island getaway.
- Hostess Gift – Any product from Nielse-Massey and McCrea’s will be sure to a hit. Place them in a basket along with a handmade wooden spoon, a whisk, and a holiday tea towel.
One lucky Southern Kissed reader will win a Nielsen-Massey gift box. The box includes the following:
- McCrea’s Black Lava Sea Salt Caramels (5.5 oz tube, $14.95) — Rich, creamy caramel with crystals of Hawaiian black sea salt. A moment in paradise.
- McCrea’s Classic Vanilla Caramels (5.5 oz tube, $14.95) — McCrea’s original caramel generously infused with sweet, aromatic vanilla.
- Nielsen- Massey’s Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar (7.5 oz jar, $23) — A flavorful blend of gourmet baker’s sugar and the pinnacle of all vanillas, Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract. Use it in any recipe where vanilla and the sweetness of sugar are desired.
- Nielsen-Massey’s Pure Coffee Extract (2 oz bottle, $9) — The rich, freshly brewed flavor is achieved through careful distillation of premium coffee beans.
To enter, use the Rafflecopter widget below. You must be 18 years or older to enter and be a US resident. Winner will be chosen on or around November 20, 2017 and will be notified by email. Winner will have 48 hours to claim his/her prize or it may be forfeited and awarded to someone else. Good luck!