Amazing Vegan Recipe for Burritos and Smoky Tangy Cream Sauce #Vegan
Taking a quote from Mr. T., “I pitty the fool who thinks veggies are awful and boring!” Alright, I admit that Mr. T. probably never said that, but really…eating veggies is neither awful nor does it have to be boring. Take Sophia DeSantis’ Chipotle and Lime Forever Burritos with Smoky Tangy Cashew Cream. It’s so good that even carnivores will love it! Seriously.
Sophia DeSantis is the creative genius behind Veggies Don’t Bite, a plant-based gluten-free blog devoted to all things delicious (emphasis mine). I discovered her blog after perusing the plant-based cookbook section at my local Books-A-Million. I flipped through the pages of her cookbook, Vegan Burgers & Burritos: Easy and Delicious Whole Food Recipes for the Everyday Cook, and then went home and checked out her blog. I knew that I needed Vegan Burgers and Burritos and ordered myself a copy.
The first recipe I tried from Sophia’s book was Stovetop Tasty Teriyaki Sauce. Six simple ingredients, one of which is water. No MSG. No processed crap. Totally delicious! Next, I made Chipotle and Lime Forever Burritos with Smoky Tangy Cashew Cream. Oh. Em. Geeee! The sauce is absolutely amazing! (The burritos are delish, too!) Fortunately for you, I have been permitted to share the recipes with you so you can see how much you need this cookbook, too!
- 1 cup 170 g chopped red, yellow and green bell pepper mix
- ½ cup 85 g chopped spicy pepper of choice (jalapeño, cherry bomb, etc.)
- ½ cup 76 g chopped red onion
- Low-sodium veggie broth, about ½ cup [118 ml] or drizzle of oil, for sautéing
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp 30 ml fresh lime juice
RICE AND BEANS
- 1 ½ cups 241 g cooked brown rice
- 1 cup 200 g cooked or canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup 10 g chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp 15 ml fresh lime juice
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- 4 to 5 tortillas
- Shredded cabbage
- Smoky Tangy Cream, page 135 or World’s Best Roasted Salsa (page 132)
- Sauté the peppers and onion in a pan over medium heat with veggie broth, salt, garlic powder and lime juice until cooked and fragrant, about 10 to 12 minutes. You may need to add more broth if it gets too dry. The mixture is ready when the veggies are soft and almost sticky looking.
- To make the rice and beans, put the cooked rice, beans, cilantro, lime juice, salt and chipotle powder in a bowl and mix well.
- Once everything is ready, build the burritos by filling the tortillas with the rice and beans, sautéed veggies, avocado and shredded cabbage.
- Drizzle the sauce or salsa over the filling ingredients.
- To fold the burrito, fold the sides over toward the center, then roll upward to create a burrito. (See page 15 for step-by-step photos.) You can grill the seam for 7 to 8 minutes until it seals and closes the burrito. You can also grill the other side to make it crisp.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Vegan Burgers and Burritos by Sophia DeSantis, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 burrito
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223
People. If you have ever thought about including more veggies in your life but are afraid that it would be boring, then do yourself a favor and check out Sophia’s blog and then check out her book.
About Vegan Burgers and Burritos
Vegan Burgers and Burritos is not your momma’s vegan cookbook. It has recipes for:
- 25 burgers (including Thai Peanut Perfection, Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger, and Buffalo Wing Sliders),
- 24 burritos (with tempting Frito Pie Pouches, Yiayia’s Greek Burrito, and Wrapped-Up Chile Rellenos),
- 4 desserts (among them are The Ultimate Mexican Churro and Fully Loaded “Fried” Banana Split)
- 17 sauces (Tartar Sauce Extreme, THE Vegan Sour Cream, and Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce, to name a few),
- 2 sweet sauces (Mind-Blowing Chocolate Sauce and Sticky Almond Caramel), and
- 4 side dishes that are perfect accompaniments to go along with your favorite burger.
The recipes for sauces alone make purchasing the book more than worthwhile. Being that Vegan Burgers and Burritos focus is on plant-based, wholesome ingredients, it is one book that I feel good about recommending. Look for it at your local bookstore or get it at Amazon.com.