Cool air. Leaves falling. Snuggling up with a hand-knit blanket. Isn’t Fall great? Without a doubt, it’s my favorite season.
However, with the arrival of Fall come busy schedules – soccer games, PTA, school projects – sometimes it seems like there is barely enough time to get everything done. I am thankful that I have a slow cooker to help me out on those occasions. All I have to do is set it and forget about it.
My mother-in-law made the best ham in her slow cooker, and hopefully one day I will be able to replicate it. Somehow she managed to get it so tender that it could practically be shredded with a fork. She knew exactly how long to cook her ham.
I have tried to make it like her in the past, only to overcook it time and time again. I am determined, though, to perfect it since I received a Set ‘n Forget® 6 Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker With Spoon/Lid. The Set ‘n Forget® is not your grandma’s slow cooker – it is a sleek, modern-age technological wonder. I will tell you more about it in a moment, but first, let me share with you an easy way to cook ham in the slow cooker.
Ham can dry out in the slow cooker. My mother-in-law would pour a can of Mountain Dew over her ham to keep it moist. To avoid extra additives (high fructose corn syrup, etc.), I use 1 1/4 cups of water and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar instead of the soda.
I cover the slow cooker, insert the temperature probe, and then program the slow cooker on LOW heat to reach a temperature of at least 145 degrees.
Once the meat hits that temperature, the Set ‘n Forget® automatically switches to the WARM setting.
While I haven’t reached the point of the ham shredding, I haven’t overcooked it either. Since ham should be cooked until it reaches at least 145 and no more than 160 degrees, I know that I can increase the temperature setting without overcooking it. I am going to experiment some more to find that perfect temperature – one day I will be able to cook ham like my mother-in-law.
With the temperature programmed to 145 – 150, ham comes out slice-able and delicious. It is great paired with green beans and macaroni & cheese.
Look at the features of the Set ‘n Forget®:
- Three (3) choices for easy, automatic cooking: program, probe and manual
- Probe mode is perfect for cooking large cuts of meat or for recipes that require food to reach a certain temperature
- Thermometer probe reads the actual temperature of food as it cooks; the temperature is displayed on the slow cooker control panel
- Travel-friendly design secures contents en route to parties, potlucks, family gatherings and tailgating
- The lid securely seals in place with sturdy wire clips on each handle
- 6 quart removable stoneware crock fits a 6 lb. chicken or a 4 lb. roast
- Wraparound, even heat cooks food evenly and consistently
- Full-grip handles make carrying heavy meals easier
- Power interrupt protection keeps slow cooker on during a brief power outage
- Questions are supported by a toll-free call center located in the U.S.
- Backed with a one-year warranty
The Set ‘n Forget® is an awesome slow cooker. You can read more about it on Hamilton Beach’s website by clicking here. There is information about the program, probe, and manual modes, a cooking guide for the probe, information about adapting recipes for the slow cooker, and information about its care and cleaning.