Chicken Dumplings are a staple in the deep South. The first time I ever had any was on a trip to visit my husband’s parents (when we were dating). Being originally from the North, it was not something that we ate at home. Little did I know what treat was in store for me.
While I don’t have my MIL’s recipe and am unable to call her for directions, I believe that she would be pretty pleased with my version. (She passed away in 1996.) I know that for the dumplings she used refrigerated canned biscuits. The rest – – ?
Since my husband seemed to enjoy them, I know they had to be good. It doesn’t take special equipment to make this tasty dish – a nice large pot will do.
- 1 - 32 oz carton of Chicken Broth
- cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cans refrigerated biscuits
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- pepper, to taste
- Heat chicken broth in pot on medium-high heat and cook until gently boiling.
- Add chicken.
- Quarter biscuits and place in chicken broth. Stir well.
- Add cream of chicken soup and stir.
- Put small layer of pepper over dumplings. Stir well and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.