Oreo Cookie Balls – a twist on the classic American sandwich cookie. The recipe sounds simple enough – process a package of Oreos and an 8 ounce block of cream cheese in a food processor, roll into balls, and cover with melted chocolate. However, it is a bit more complicated than that.
I got together with two of my nursing school friends and we spent a couple of hours making cookie balls together. We started by pulsating a box of Oreos in my food processor. Then we added the cream cheese.
To that mixture we added a little peppermint oil. About 1/2 teaspoon is what I estimate. Peppermint oil is highly concentrated, so it does not take much. It is best to start with a little and add more as needed.
We processed the mixture until all of the Oreos were completely crushed into crumbs. The cookie “dough” was very moist.
We used a cookie scoop to help portion out the dough. Then we rolled the dough into balls with our hands. We froze the cookie balls for about 20 minutes before dipping them in chocolate.
We tried melting chocolate chips in the microwave. While this did work to a point, we found that using chocolate disks (wafers) in a double boiler worked the best.
My friend is a pro at making buckeyes and she used the same technique for making the cookie balls. She placed a toothpick in the frozen dough ball, swirled it in the melted chocolate, and then removed the balls from the toothpick using a fork:
The chocolate will firm up quickly since the dough had been chilled. We had peppermint bits ready to sprinkle on each one as soon as the dough ball was placed on parchment paper.
We allowed the chocolate to firm up and then placed the balls into miniature muffin cups.
- 1 regular sized package Oreo cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint oil
- 1 package chocolate melting disks/wafers
- 1 package peppermint bits
- Process cookies in food processor until crumbly. Add cream cheese and peppermint oil and process until thoroughly mixed.
- Using small cookie scoop, scoop out dough, roll into balls, and place on cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Place cookie balls in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate disks in double boiler.
- Carefully dip cookie balls, one at a time, in melted chocolate. Swirl cookie balls around to thoroughly coat ball.
- Place coated cookie ball back on parchment paper and sprinkle peppermint bits on top.
- Allow chocolate to firm up.
- Store in refrigerator.
Adapted from http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/oreo-cookie-balls-126799.aspx
Do you like the combination of chocolate and peppermint?