In honor of football playoffs, I created a new recipe that’s full of big flavor. You and your guests might even be surprised that this delicious Loaded BBQ Chicken Baked Potato PIZZA recipe was made using a packet of Idaho Spuds. Yes, that’s right – mashed potatoes!
The inspiration behind this recipe comes from a loaded bbq potato that I like to eat at a restaurant in Huntsville. The potatoes are awesome and make a great meal, but just would not be ideal for serving at the big game. So I merged the flavors of my beloved potato into my other great love – pizza.
It really is quite easy to make. Here are a few tips for making it:
Once the dough has been made, roll it out onto a pizza sheet or baking stone and prick the surface with a fork to allow steam to escape.
Partially bake it (for about 7 minutes) and then remove it from the oven and top it with your favorite bbq sauce and toppings.
Bake for about another 7 minutes and touchdown! You now have a delicious pizza ready to serve hungry fans. Here is the full recipe:
Loaded BBQ Chicken Baked Potato PIZZA
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 packet fast acting instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 3.74 ounce package Idaho Spuds Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- BBQ Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Bacon, cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces (alternatively, bacon bits)
- Chives, chopped
- Pour 1 ½ cups warm water into a measuring cup. Add yeast and honey, stir, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together Idaho Spuds and flour in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add water mixture and mix on low speed of mixer using dough attachment for 1 minute until dough becomes a well-formed ball and all flour has been incorporated.
- Increase speed of mixer to medium and knead for 2 minutes.
- Turn oven on and allow it to heat up to 130 – 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Turn OFF oven.
- Place pizza dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Roll dough around to lightly coat entire surface. Cover with plastic wrap and place inside pre-warmed oven to rise for 30 minutes.
- Remove bowl from oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Divide pizza dough in half and roll-out on pizza pan or baking sheet that has been sprinkled with flour. Prick surface with fork to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 7 minutes and remove from oven.
- Top with BBQ sauce, cheese, chicken, scallion, and bacon. Bake for an additional 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped chives.
Notice that I didn’t put how much bbq sauce or how much cheese to use. That’s because some people like a lot of sauce and some like a lot of cheese. I recommend that you start with a small amount of sauce (about 1/2 cup for a large pizza) and spread it around. If it doesn’t look like enough, you can add more. I typically use 2 cups of cheese (1 – 8 ounce package) for a really large pizza or for 2 medium-sized pizzas. For Loaded BBQ Chicken Baked Potato PIZZA, I like to mix things up and use a combination of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Be flexible and make it your own.
Click here for a printable version of the recipe.
Win a Big Adventure in Boise, ID!
Feeling lucky? Be sure to enter the Idaho Spuds Game Day Sweepstakes because the grand prize includes airfare for 2 and 3-night stay at the Modern Hotel in Boise, Idaho—plus rental car, gas and spending money, and a year supply of Idaho Spuds Flavored Mash! Click here for all of the details and to enter. Good luck! (P.S. – The sweepstakes ends on February 6, 2017 at 11:59:59 p.m. Central Standard Time.)
I’d love for you to vote for my Loaded BBQ Chicken Baked Potato PIZZA!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.