There is something special that happens when chocolate meets coconut. Something that just makes you happy, you know what I mean? Perhaps that’s the reason that the sweet little candy bar is called Almond Joy. It’s not only because of the almond and coconut, but also because the entire candy bar is covered in chocolate.
On occasion I give in to my sweet tooth and make something sweet. (I confess, it is more than on occasion – I do it often.) I decided to make a gluten-free chocolate cupcake reminiscent of Almond Joys. It only made sense since so many gluten-free and Paleo baked goods are made with both almond flour and coconut.
I started by combining some almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. I even went one step further and added a little cinnamon and instant espresso for good measure.
I placed all of the dry ingredients in my Ninja since I don’t have a regular blender. If you have neither, you could place it in a large bowl – just be sure to whip the batter really well. I then added the wet ingredients: egg, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla. I blended them well. Once that was done, I removed the blades and stirred the batter with my spatula, trying to ensure that everything was blended. Then I added 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
I placed them in a muffin tin that I had lined with parchment baking cups.
After about 19 minutes in my oven, they were done.
For the topping, I melted 1/2 chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil on high for 30 seconds in the microwave. I took it out and stirred until all of the chocolate had melted.
Next I toasted 1/3 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut in the oven on the BROIL setting. Be sure to keep an eye on coconut while it toasts – it happens quickly. I then sprinkled the cupcakes with the toasted coconut. They make me happy. Joy!
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with parchment baking cups. (If using regular cups, spray lightly with non-stick spray.)
- Place dry ingredients in mixer or large mixing bowl. Pulse or stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to mixer and pulse until well blended. Scrape down sides of blender if needed.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking cups and bake 18-20 minutes or until done. Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Combine 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is melted. Spread over cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle cupcakes with shredded coconut.
I would like to thank Earth Fare , where you can purchase all of the ingredients necessary to make Chocolate Joys, for sponsoring this post.