I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for P.A.N. Cornmeal. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
Brunch – that unique “meal” that is neither breakfast nor lunch. I happen to like having brunch. What’s not to like? We can all sleep in late and still have plenty of time to prepare some fresh-baked goods to share with friends and family.
You may recall that I recently made a Lemon Polenta Cake with Blueberry Sauce. The cake is delicious, but it’s a little too much for a brunch. Since the cornmeal that I used (P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal) is so versatile, I thought I would use it in the batter of some quick and easy muffins that would be perfect for brunch.
I started by making the streusel topping for the muffins. I used P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal, tapioca flour, brown sugar, and softened butter. I used two forks to try to make the streusel topping crumbly. My kitchen was a little warm, so I put it in the refrigerator while I got to work on the batter.
I cracked a couple of eggs into a large bowl. I then added the dry ingredients for the batter: P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal, almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. I then added the wet ingredients and the zest of one lemon and mixed well. I folded in one cup of blueberries. (You could add another cup if you like a lot of blueberries in your muffins.)
I spooned the batter into my muffin cups and topped each muffin with a little of the streusel topping. I baked them for about 18 minutes and then let them cool.
- 1/3 cup P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest from one lemon
- 1 - 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the streusel topping by combing the cornmeal, tapioca flour, brown sugar, and softened butter. Stir until it becomes a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- Crack eggs into a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl.
- Add butter, buttermilk, vanilla, and lemon zest and mix well.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. (I use parchment paper cups.)
- Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown.
The lemon zest and buttermilk create a light tasting flavor that pairs well with the cornmeal and blueberries.
Blueberry Cornmeal Muffin
I am delighted that P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal is making its way into kitchens in the US. When you see it at your local store, pick up a bag. To explore more recipes and get inspiration, check out the P.A.N. Tumblr page by clicking here. P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Meal is a great staple to have on hand in your pantry.